ASSIA Newsletter — January 2020
As we prepare for 2020 and look back on the year of Wi-Fi’s 20th anniversary, we thought we would take a final look at the highlights of 2019 and look ahead to 2020.
2019: Diverse Technologies
ASSIA finished 2019 very strong as we increased the number of homes for which we manage Wi-Fi by a factor of 10. We worked with our service provider customers to manage and optimize a diverse set of technologies seeing increasing interest in and adoption of:
A timeline of our many other 2019 successes and accomplishments are below.
2020 Initiatives: Revenue-Generating Applications and Standards
In 2020, ASSIA will continue rolling out our solutions that bring together access and in-home Wi-Fi to deliver broadband to the device. Beyond that, we see two significant initiatives for ASSIA in 2020.
We kicked off 2020 with a jam-packed schedule of meetings at CES. In these meetings we received a lot of interest from application providers—such as parental controls, smart homes, and home security, among others—in partnering with ASSIA due to our ability to ensure strong and stable connectivity to the devices on which their applications rely. We believe our service provider customers will see these application partnerships as a new revenue opportunity. Tuncay Cil, ASSIA Chief Strategy Officer, discussed these applications in his video interview with Wi-Fi Alliance on 2020 Wi-Fi Trends.
In 2020, ASSIA will continue its active contributions to the industry standards bodies and its commitment to support these industry standards. In 2020, we are widening our participation in TIP (Telecom Infra Project) and the prpl Foundation, both of which we joined in 2019.
We add these to the work we are already doing with the Wi-Fi Alliance (WFA), Broadband Forum (BBF), Network Interoperability Consultative Committee (NICC), International Telecommunications Union (ITU), ETST Network Functions Virtualization Industry Specification Group (NFS ISG), and Wireless Broadband Alliance (WBA). Links to our Standards papers are below.
In 2020 we will also continue our active participation at industry events as keynote speakers, sponsors, and attendees. During the first half of 2020, we look forward to seeing you at:
- Mobile World Congress – Barcelona Feb 24-27 in Barcelona, Spain
- Wi-Fi Alliance – Singapore Mar 3-5 in Singapore (Speaking: Dr. Cioffi, CEO)
- FICC – San Francisco Mar 5-6 in San Francisco, California (Speaking: Dr. Cioffi, CEO)
- Cable Next-Gen Supported by Light Reading Mar 16-18 in Denver, Colorado
- ANGA COM May 12-14 in Cologne, Germany
- Wi-Fi Now – US May 12-14 in San Francisco, California (Speaking: Tuncay Cil, CSO)
- BIG 5G EVENT – Supported by Light Reading May 18-20 in Dallas, Texas
- Ultra-fast Broadband Acceleration Seminar (UFBB BASe) Jun 2-4 in Den Haag, the Netherlands
- IEEE International Conference on Communications Jun 7-11 in Dublin, Ireland (Dr. John Cioffi to receive WICE Award)
- Wireless Global Congress – US Jun 15-18 in Chicago, Illinois
- Wi-Fi Alliance – US Jun 16-18 in Chicago, Illinois
- CableLabs 4Front Jun 23-24 in Denver, Colorado
2019 Timeline Review